The fascinating Logan Creek Valley drew Ford Bella and Deborah (Watson) Barber as they arrived from Maine in 1874 and built a cabin in Bancroft Township.
Six years later, the Barbers deeded 80 acres of their land to the Sioux City & Nebraska Railway in return for an agreement that, in addition to the railroad right-of-way, the company would plat a town. In 1880, a map of the town was recorded in the county seat of West Point. The town was referred to as “Barberville,” but soon the name “Bancroft” was chosen in honor of George Bancroft, civil engineer for the railroad.
Using power generated by a dam across Rock Creek, a mill was established north and west of West Point in the 1860s. As the mill continued, people began to make their homes north of the river and a post office named “Rock Creek” was established.
A.D. Beemer, who owned land near Rock Creek Mill, persuaded George Canfield and K.C. Morehouse of West Point to join him in developing this land. Assured by the railroad that it would be taking a route through it, the three men helped lay out a town and built a depot. A new post office was built and renamed “Beemer” in honor of the promoter and founder of the town.
In March of 1857, a group of men known as “The Nebraska Settlement Association” began a prospecting tour along the Elkhorn River. Upon arriving at what is now known as West Point, they decided to locate a town and establish industries, and the city was platted by Andrew J. Bruner.
The town was first called New Philadelphia because so many of the settlement group were from Pennsylvania. The name was soon changed to West Point because it was the most westerly point that was settled in the Elkhorn River Valley at that time.
A town was platted July 22, 1871, in anticipation of the coming of the railroad. Named for Judge Samuel Wisner, vice president of the Sioux City & Pacific Railway, lots sold at auction for an average of $129 each. The town of Wisner incorporated on May 14, 1873.
In 1909, the village had become a Second Class City. By 1926, with its paved streets, splendid lighting, fine water system, good schools, churches, and modern homes, Wisner was a good place to live.