Clerk, Register of Deeds, Election Commissioner FAQs


Where can I find Board of Supervisor and Board of Equalization minutes and agendas?
The Board of Supervisor and Board of Equalization minutes and current agendas are published on this website. The minutes of the meetings are also published in the legal newspaper within ten days of the meeting. All agendas, minutes and board correspondence are available at the County Clerk’s Office during regular business hours.

Where do I apply for a marriage license, how long in advance may I apply and is there a waiting period?
You may apply for a marriage license in any county in Nebraska. The Nebraska license will allow you to be married anywhere in Nebraska. The license is good for up to one year and there is no waiting period.

Do you need a blood test to apply for a marriage license?

What do I need to apply for a marriage license?

  • Proof of Identification (Driver’s License, ID Card, Birth Certificate or Passport)
  • Social Security Number if a US citizen.
  • If either party was married before, the date the last marriage ended will be needed.

How old do you need to be to get married in the State of Nebraska?
You need to be at least 17 years of age. If age 17 or 18, parent consent is required.

What is the process to obtain a special event liquor license?
See related link:  Special Designated Liquor Licenses


How do I register to vote?
You can register to vote in the Clerk’s Office during regular working hours. When you renew your driver’s license, you can register to vote or update your voter registration information. Voter registration forms are available in the post offices in the county. If you have moved within the county since the last election, you will need to complete a new voter registration form to avoid delays at your polling place.  You may also register to vote online by following this link:  

If you moved from another state or county, you need to register in the county where you currently live.

When is the deadline to register to vote?
The deadline to register to vote is the 3rd Friday before an election my mail and through DMV and the 2nd Friday before an election for in person voter registration. In person voter registration in done at the County Clerk’s Office.

How to I vote early?
Anytime before the close of business on the second Friday preceding an election, ballots may be mailed to you by calling or emailing the County Clerk’s Office or by submitting an application for early voting to the County Clerk. To vote early after the second Friday preceding an election and before election day, you must vote in person in the Clerk’s Office.

What if I am sick on Election Day and can’t make it to the polls?
You can have a family member or friend act as your agent to pick up your ballot from the County Clerk’s Office before 7:00 p.m.

How to I become a poll worker?
Please call the County Clerk’s Office.

Where do I go to vote?
Registered voters living in West Point vote at the Nielsen Community Center.
Registered voters living in Beemer Village, Beemer Township and Logan Township vote at the Beemer Municipal Building
Registered voters living in Bancroft Village, Bancroft Township, Cleveland Township, and Neligh Township vote in the Bancroft Fire Hall
Registered voters living in the City of Wisner, Wisner Township, Blaine Township and Grant Township vote in the Wisner City Auditorium
Registered voters living in Cuming Township, Garfield Township, Sherman Township and St. Charles Township vote at the Nielsen Community Center.
Registered voters living in Lincoln Township, Monterey Township, Bismark Township and Elkhorn Township receive their ballot by mail

What time are the polls open?
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Link to voter forms:


Can I access land records online?
Yes –

Can I e-record documents?
Yes, we accept electronic documents through a third party vender. See the following links. or

What are the filing fees to file a document in the Register of Deeds Office?
$10.00 for the first page and $6.00 for each additional page.

What is a documentary stamp tax?
This tax is collected on all non-exempt transactions when a parcel of land changes ownership. It is $2.25 per $1000.00 of the sale price and made payable to the Register of Deeds Office at the time of filing.

When is a 521 form required to be filed?
A 521 form is required when a deed is filed.  There are some other rare situations that required a 521 form.  Contact the County Clerk’s Office for questions.
Link to 521 form: