There are four known Nebraska State Historical Markers in Cuming County. The DeWitt Historical Site (Marker 249) is located 4 miles west and ¼ mile north as you travel Highway 275 from West Point. It is the site of the first permanent settlement of Cuming County.
A second is the John G. Neihardt Study, located at Grove and Washington Streets in Bancroft. This building was erected on the site in the 1890s and was rented from 1911 to 1920 for a study by famous Bancroft poet John Gneisenau Neihardt. Here he wrote his lyrics, prose and part of his epic A Cycle of the West. The study was restored in 1967 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
A third historical marker is titled Bancroft and is located ½ mile west of the junction of Nebraska Highways 51 and 16 east of Bancroft, which is the historical home of John G. Neihardt.
A final known historical marker in the county is the John G. Neihardt Center located at Elm and Washington Streets in Bancroft. In 1974, state Sen. Blair Richendifer of Walthill introduced legislation which appropriated the sum of $200,000 for the purpose of constructing the John G. Neihardt Foundation. The center was dedicated Aug. 1, 1976. By gubernatorial proclamation, the first Sunday in each August is designated Neihardt Day in Nebraska.