Roads & Weeds

Roads & Weeds

Cuming County Highway Superintendent
Chris Howser
200 South Lincoln, Room 202
West Point, NE 68788
Office (402) 372-6008
Cell  (402) 380-2582

Motor Grader Application (submit in person or Scan & email it to:

See which roads are County and which are Townships. (highlighted roads are County)
Nebraska Department of Roads
District 3 Contact Information
Township Officials Names & Numbers
LR 528 Bridge Report
2020 One & Six Year Improvement Plan- Map
2020 One & Six Year Improvement Plan

Notices To Bidders


Public Notices:

Mowing Ditches
Public Notice

The Cuming County Board of Supervisors reminds all landowners that it is the duty of the landowners to mow weeds on all public roads running along their lands at least twice each year, which should be sometime in July for the first time and sometime in September for the second time.  Trees and brush, including plum brush, also need to be removed. Particular care must be given to intersections. If the landowner does not mow the weeds and remove trees, bushes and brush, the County Board can file with the County Clerk the cost and such expense can be assessed to the landowner. On township roads, through the Township Boards, the same procedure can be followed. State Statute 39-1811.

Encroaching on Road Right-of-Way
Public Notice

The Board of Supervisors and your Township Board want to bring to your attention that property owners need to be following State Statute 39-301, “Any person who injures or obstructs a public road by felling a tree or trees in, upon, or across the same, by placing or leaving any other obstruction thereon, by encroaching upon the same with any fence, crop planting, by plowing or digging any ditch or other opening thereon” is a Class V misdemeanor. “Any officer in charge of road work, after having given reasonable notice to the owners of the obstruction or person so obstructing or plowing or digging ditches upon such road, may remove any such fence or other obstruction, fill up any such ditch or excavation, and recover the necessary cost of such removal from such owner or other person obstructing such road, to be collected by such officer in an action in county court.”  This also includes planting of high crops that will obstruct vision at intersections.

Use of the road right-of-way is restricted to the township and county for maintenance only. The County or your township is attempting to clean and maintain the ditches that they are responsible for, and obstructions that you place in that right-of-way will be covered by the above-mentioned statute. Normal right-of-way extends 33’ from the center of the road.

Weed Superintendent
Daniel Niemeyer
200 S Lincoln St, Rm 202
West Point, NE 68788

Complaints about noxious weeds in Cuming County can be made by calling the Weed Superintendent’s office at            (402)372-2900 or by completing the weed complaint form provided here and submitting it to Cuming County Noxious Weed Control Authority. You can print this form out and mail it to the office at: 200 S Lincoln St, Rm 301, West Point, NE 68788.

You can file your noxious weed complaints online.

The county weed superintendent duties include:

  • Being certified, in writing, by the Nebraska Department of Agriculture as a commercial applicator.
  • Examining all lands under the jurisdiction of the control authority to determine if the Noxious Weed Control Act and the rules and regulations are being complied with.
  • Compiling infestation data and other reports as the Director of Agriculture or control authority may require.
  • Supervising and carrying out the coordinated control program within the county.
  • Completing 20 hours of continuing education, annually.
  • Ascertaining and tabulating the approximate amount and location of land infested with noxious weeds in the county, annually.
  • Ascertaining and preparing information required by the county board for preparation of the county budget.

Related Links
Nebraska Weed Control Association
Noxious Weeds: Distinctive Characteristics
Noxious weed complaint form